The Universities of Edinburgh MRC Doctoral Training Programme (DTP) in Precision Medicine is currently welcoming applications from interested and suitably qualified PhD candidates to enrol for Doctoral Training Programme.
The Precision Medicine Doctoral Training Programme is a fully-funded PhD with integrated study funded by the Medical Research Council, University of Edinburgh and University of Glasgow.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Universities of Edinburgh, UK
Host Institution(s): Universities of Edinburgh, UK
Scholarship Worth: Fully-funded
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: PhD
Nationality: International Students
Universities of Edinburgh MRC Doctoral Training Program (DTP) | DETAILS
This Doctoral Training Programme focuses on training PhD students both in quantitative skills (mathematics, statistics, computation, and digital excellence) identified as key by the MRC (Medical Research Council) skills priorities, and in their application to a variety of data sources (from wet bench ‘omics’ to health records), meaning that students acquire interdisciplinary training in the skills required to deliver the vision of precision medicine.
Precision medicine is a transformational approach to disease treatment and prevention, focusing on identifying which strategy will be effective for which patients, based on genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors.
- PhD with integrated study – training in Precision Medicine towards becoming a T-shaped researcher (broad in outlook while studying in depth)
- Cutting-edge learning in both medicine and computation
- Vast data assets emerging from the infrastructure and facilities within the world-leading training environments provided by the three partners, Edinburgh, Glasgow and the Karolinska.
To be eligible for Universities of Edinburgh MRC Doctoral Training Programme (DTP), applicants are expected to meet the following conditions:
- Applicants must be international students
- A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent.
- Entry requirements by country
- English language requirements
- You must demonstrate a level of English language competency at a level that will enable you to succeed in your studies, regardless of your nationality or country of residence.
English language tests
We accept the following English language qualifications at the grades specified:
- IELTS Academic: total 6.5 with at least 6.0 in each component.
- TOEFL-iBT (including Home Edition): total 92 with at least 20 in each component. We do not accept TOEFL My Best Score to meet our English language requirements.
- C1 Advanced (CAE) / C2 Proficiency (CPE): total 176 with at least 169 in each component.
- Trinity ISE: ISE II with distinctions in all four components.
- PTE Academic: total 62 with at least 59 in each component.
Successful applicants who meet all necessary eligibility requirements will receive a fully funded studentship including:
- Payment of annual tuition fees.
- Stipend for each of the 4 years of the PhD (based on UKRI minimum doctoral rate).
- Research Training Support Grant of 5K per annum.
- Annual Travel Grant of £300.
See Also: University of Bonn Argelander Scholarships 2023 (Fully Funded to Germany)
How-to-Apply: To enrol for Universities of Edinburgh MRC Doctoral Training Programme (DTP), applicants should follow these steps:
- Before making an application, please contact the primary supervisor to discuss the project.
- Applications for all projects must be submitted via the University of Edinburgh’s Degree Finder.
- For those applying to a University of Glasgow project, following the application deadline, your application along with any supporting documents will be shared with University of Glasgow.
- A CV is required and you should upload this to the document upload section of your application.
- Applicants must apply to a specific project. Please ensure that you include details of the project that you are applying to under the Programme section of your application.
- The project title should be included in both the Research Topic and Research Project fields
- All Supervisors as listed in the advertisement should be included in the proposed supervisor field
- You can apply for a maximum of 3 projects. Please submit a separate application for each project. The application form will ask you to rank the projects, however, we require a separate application for each project you would like to apply for.
Application Deadline: March 31, 2023