Nursing is one of the highly sought after course to Study in Canada today because of the many benefits available for this medical profession.With many of its universities featured at the top of QS University Rankings 2022 for Nursing, Canada is amongst the choicest countries to study Nursing.
The benefits of studying nursing include high demand for their services, job security, better remuneration, rewarding and fulfilling career path as well as professional development to mention but a few. This piece of writing will help you see why you should Study Nursing in Canada: Entry Requirements and Scholarship offers.
Nurses are known as the backbone of the healthcare delivery system for many good reasons. They not only ensure smooth operations but also deliver the best health support services to the patients. This is why the healthcare delivery system is not complete without them.
In Canada, many educational institutions offer financial aid to nursing students to help them reduce the financial burden that comes with studying the course. Students who intend to Study Abroad can avail themselves in terms of taking up student loans or Scholarships in Canada to achieve their dreams of becoming a nurse.
Why Study Nursing in Canada?
Canada is among the top countries of the world that provide high-quality training and programs and training in nursing profession. Nursing degrees obtained from Canadian universities are globally recognized and accepted. Canada boasts of 10 universities which are listed in the top 100 nursing colleges in the world by the QS World Rankings of 2021. Other benefits include:
- Nursing training in Canada incorporates internship into its curriculum, which will help you gain hospital and clinic experience and increase your employability status.
- Canada will pay you an unexceptional salary starting from $75k per annum for just 40 hours a week of work as well as an annual increment
- International students can get a chance to study nursing in Canada for free with the help of scholarships, as there is an ample number of scholarships provided in Canada.
Entry Requirements for Nursing Studies in Canada
If you intend to apply for a Nursing program in Canada, you must meet the entry requirements specified by the university of your choice. Though these requirements may vary between universities, it is important to take note of the general entry requirements while applying for Nursing courses in Canada:
- Applicants for a bachelor’s admission in Nursing must have completed their Secondary School or equivalent having passed Mathematics, English, Biology, and Chemistry as core subjects at 12th level.
- For master’s degree courses, the candidate must have a registered nurse license with a four-year bachelor’s degree in nursing in addition to other eligibility criteria. Further, many universities also ask for at least one year of clinical experience.
- Applicants for doctoral-level programs must have obtained a master’s degree in Nursing or its equivalent.
- Applicants will be required to provide proof of Language proficiency scores of IELTS/TOEFL/PTE, etc. Also note that for PhD programs, some institutions might require GRE scores and for bachelor’s degrees, you might have to undertake CASPer exam which is considered as compulsory by many academic institutions in Canada.
The following documents may be required while applying for Nursing courses in Canada:
- Scores of Language Proficiency Test (TOEFL, IELTS)
- Official Transcripts
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation
- Document of CAS Per Exam for bachelor’s degree courses
- Registered Nursing license (a current RN) for master’s degree courses
- Research Paper ( in case, if you have accomplished any research) for PhD courses
How Much Does it Cost to Study Nursing in Canada?
The cost of studying nursing in Canada for International Students when compared to other countries is quite affordable especially to international students with low financial ability. Tuition fees for international students vary across universities. The average tuition fees (in Canadian dollars) for international students enrolled for nursing science in Canadian universities is shown below.
2022-2023 International Tuition Fees for nursing courses in Canada *
* Source: Statistics Canada.
Equally Check: MBBS in Canada: Costs, Entry Requirements, Free Tuition and Scholarships
Nursing Scholarships in Canada
There are numerous funding and scholarship opportunities available for students who wants to Study Nursing in Canada for Free. This opportunities are either sponsored by the Canadian Government, non-governmental organisations or the universities offering this course. Some of the nursing scholarships available to domestic and international students in Canada includes:
- The Class of 1966 Nursing Scholarship.
- University of Toronto Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing Scholarship.
- F.A. Davis Nursing Undergraduate Scholarship.
- BN Nursing Scholarship.
- National Overseas Scholarship.
- Susan Nelles Scholarship.
- Canadian Nurses Foundation Scholarship.
- StudentAid BC Nurses Education Bursary.
- General Entrance Award program for Prospective undergraduate students.
Top Universities in Canada for Nursing
Canada is home to several top ranking universities for Nursing in the world. A list of the top universities for Nursing in Canada based on the QS World University Rankings in 2021, some of the best of them that provide competitive nursing programs are:
- University of Toronto
The University was founded in 1827 and has evolved into Canada’s leading institution of higher learning, discovery and knowledge creation. The university is among the world’s top research-intensive universities, which is driven by invention and innovation. The university is popular for its medical and health science courses including nursing.
- McMaster University
McMaster University was founded in 1887 and is ranked in the world’s Top 75 by the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings. A medical-doctoral, research-intensive public university, McMaster is dedicated to advancing human and societal health and well-being.
- University of British Columbia
The University boasts of over 20237 international students and is ranked among the top 40th best universities in the world. The University of British Columbia (UBC) is a centre for teaching, learning, innovation, research and is recently recognized as North America’s most international university. The university is known for standing out in the nursing science and mid-wifery, public health, and physiology.
- University of Alberta
The University is one of the top five universities in Canada and ranked in the top 100 institutions in the world. Founded in 1908, The U of A has a strong history of innovative teaching and research. This has consequently built its international reputation as a leading university. It consistently fares well in global university rankings and stands out in many subject areas.
- McGill University
The University is known around the globe for its excellent teaching and research programs. The University’s mission is the advancement of learning and the creation and dissemination of knowledge, by offering the best possible education, carrying out research and scholarly activities. McGill University is one of Canada’s best known institutions of higher learning and one of the leading universities in the world.